The Georgia Avenue Business Improvement District & Development Corporation is a 501 (c) 3 organization dedicated to the revitalization and growth of the upper Georgia Avenue business corridor, including Walter Reed Campus and surrounding communities and to city-wide workforce and business development city-wide in order to advance opportunities for businesses and citizens of the upper Georgia Avenue Corridor.
GABIDDC sponsors workforce development programs and initiatives. These include past and ongoing education and workforce training programs in cooperation with the Black Student Fund and the University of the District of Columbia. We are currently working with Emory Beacon of Light to develop additional workforce development projects.
Past efforts included:
- Summer Youth Training programs,
- A Community Day showcasing businesses and not for profit organizations;
- A DC Summer Youth Employment Project where students created an archival photographic record of the Walter Reed Military Medical Campus. [see Archival Post from July 2014] and also learned to create web-pages using WordPress.
Current efforts include creating a hazardous waste Cleanup Class and Support for:
- Environmental Grants for lead abatement and other environmental hazards (up to 17,500$)
- Grants for workforce training
- help with college debt reduction and
- Americans with Disability Act (ADA) Grants, (up to $10,000.00)
- Access to Medical equipment funded by Health Insurance
We are working on long term program development plans we call:
Any income from our services is used to fund these Workforce Training and Opportunities. For more information Click on the above link.
Donations are Tax Deductible
Donations are tax deductible and we will send a receipt showing the amount donated along with our Tax Identification information.
“All of this work has been accomplished by a group of dedicated volunteers and a limited budget. GABIDDC seeks your support to build its capacity to fulfill its mission and respond to calls from the community. We will continue to rely on volunteers but resources are needed to support the work of dedicated volunteers. And we need your support to push our efforts through social media and direct action.”
The address for donating or corresponding by letter is here:
- GABIDDC, in Care of Michael Jackson
- 3636 16th St NW, 4th Floor
- Washington, DC 20010
- Black Student Fund (BSF): Telephone: 202-406-0417
- GABIDDC telephone: 202 604-3097
For Contact Details see our Contact Page
Donations to GABIDDC can be made by sending a check to the above address or donating on line here.